few random thoughts.

 I've played crossfire a little bit, and have a few thoughts about
the present and future of crossfire.

1) Some documentation really needs to be done about actually
playing the game (advantages/disadvantages of classes.)  I did notice
the beginners dungeon that is good at teaching many parts of the game.

 As a subpoint, perhaps various standards should be done (most
notably for maps.)  Anyone can of course do a map, but to be an
official crossfire map, it needs to meet certain criteria.

 Perhaps as part of this, all outdoor maps need to be a standard size,
so that they can be 'connected' together to form a continent.

2) Is the game a gauntlet clone or a nethack/ultima type game?  It seems
to have evolved much beyond gauntlet, but is short of nethack/ultima

  Things that would be nice to see:  Towns more in the ultima
fashion (map is large enough that you then don't need to enter
the buildings via A once in town.)  Some sort of quests.  Interaction
with residents of the town.  I realize that crossfire is still
quite young, so maybe these will come later.

 3) Better support for solo players.  Riight now, solo people can
play it fine, but teh game seems geared towards multiple players.

 A few other thoughts.

 Instead of the 'magic doormats' for shops, perhaps have counters or
something, and the character can look through what the shop has.

 Perhaps a larger view of your surroundings? LOS still applies, but
if your out in the countryside, you can see farther (Maybe I'm just
too fond of ultima, where the main part of the screen was what was
around you, and only a small part was information on the characters.
Crossfire seems to be more the opposite.)

 I don't mean for any of these remarks to sound critical.  Rathe, I
would like to hear what other people think.  I also realize that
many of these thing are of lower importance than actually getting the
game to release state, but I think good documentation is definately
needed for version 1.0.

 So far, I really like what I have seen so far.  Now I just need
to keep exploring some more.

 --Mark Wedel
master@cats.ucsc.edu