Re: Local variations to crossfire.

> First, I'm sorry Geoff, for giving such a suggestion without reviewing
> its feasibility first.

No worries.

> Second, I much prefer Petri's approach. Looks good, Petri!

Yep!

> The .PP.DD.AA will use 9 characters, leaving only 5 for the
> archetype-name. How about:
>
> NAME-AADXY
>
>    NAME    is a name of archetype like "orc"
>    AA      is a animation phase, like 00, 01, 02, 03
>    D       is a direction, coded as:
>              y  k  u
>               \ | /
>              h -.- l     (looks familiar, I hope :-)
>               / | \
>              b  j  n
>    XY      is a part of archetype, like in troll 00, 01, 10, 11

Well, here's another possibility.  For each monster name, rather than having
name-AADXY, you could have name/AA.D.XY

This would give more room for the monster names, but it would make it easy
to get confused about where you are in the bitmaps tree.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Geoff Bailey (Fred the Wonder Worm)   |   Programmer by trade --
ftww@cs.su.oz.au                      |       Gameplayer by vocation.