Re: Proposal

On Mon, 13 Dec 1993, Raphael Quinet wrote:

> > From: Petri Heinil{ <hevi@lut.fi>
> > This would more & more require changing CrossFire into client/server
> > model.

> It shouldn't be to hard to write a program like the BoloTracker or BoloFinder :
> each time a CrossFire server is started, it sends some info about the game to
> a predefined host where a program keeps a database of the games in progress.

I'm more worried about driving X-protocol over long connections.

> > I hope someone in ifi have time to put patches into together.
> >
> > Or other possibility, what I have thinked, is some kind of rounding-
> > system; that, who makes changes into CrossFire, makes functional release
> > of it and updates patches untill someone else takes carrying on of
> > release-making.
> >
> What are we waiting for ?  ;-)

Well, I have now a project with c++ and I'm otherwise turning
in programming into it.

And I have thinked project to design/implement a general
game constructing environment. A client/server model environment,
where are no fixed game into it. There are created new game/world
into server at current site. And it's possible to connect by client,
that stays unmodified, to server, join the game/quest.

The offered resources by environment are quite same like in
CrossFire now. There are "character" graphics by pixmaps, and
client shows same like 11x11 area and maybe other things like
lists.

New monsters/items are created by inherinting them from
c++-baseclasses, and creating instance data into maps.

The implementation guidelines are c++ and X11R6 and maybe ORB.
X11R6 is for, it offers Fresco, a c++ interface (Xt-level). And
ORB (Object Request Broker) is a object distribution method
(defines objects general interface), that fresco uses.

email: Petri.Heinila@lut.fi
  www: <A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/">Homepage</A>
 mail: Ainonkatu 2A
       53100 Lappeenranta