Re: More crossfire stuff :)

Hmmmm..

Well, I will say that I have NEVER noticed the affect of weapon speed at all.
So, I don't know that making it bigger will be all that useful.

If burning hands only has a length of five, then I must still maintain that it
is way to powerful.

on low levels it seems really easy to clear entire rooms for a fairly cheap
(5 pt) spell.

Maybe make it cost more? or limit the length to 2 or 3?

As for the strength parameter, I kinda like it.. It implies the amount
of energy a spell caster is willing to invest in a spell.

Now, agreed, there should be a minimum level of energy needed to make a spell
fire, but if a mage wants to spend more spell points (say in a last ditch
effort to clear that room) then they should be able to.

Maybe make the ability to increase spell strength a ring or potion or book
given ability (ie something they have to learn) (learned through a book would
be permanent?)

Just some ideas I'm tossing around.

Also, I'm starting to design some levels.
The editor (no offense) really sucks.. I'll see if I can come up with some
ideas for how to improve it and code it up.

I really like what's been done with the game, and enjoy playing it.

I might also (if time permits) be able to help with a TCP/IP server/client
implementation given the experience I have coding mud servers.

The problem I see with both the character save method and the server client
method means that one area (disk space) ends up getting very very cluttered
with player data.

Also, until the world 'regenerates', saving players is a bad idea.

The go in, get the good stuff, save out, wait for the game to be 'rebooted',
go in, get lots of exp, get better stuff, save, etc.. etc..
pretty soon you end up with EVERY having ALL the good stuff and the game
loses it's challenge.

Now, there are a couple of ways around this, a rent system being one, and
combinee that with some auto regeneration/resets of areas, you might be alright
as long as there is a global limit on cash and item flow.

Hrmm. there was something else I wanted to bring up, but I cannot remember it
right now.

--JT
Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty --Anonymous
Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours --Richard Bach

Moonchilde/Amythyst/JT Traub ---           jtraub@cmu.edu