Re: Problem with save game feature

> Well, relying on the 'good will' of the players and expecting them to play
> fair is IMHO a very stupid concept.

  I didn't mean to imply that a game should only rely on the good will of
players - there should be a reasonable amount of game balance, but I don't
think that you want to spend excessive amounts of programming effort to stomp
on every rort, especially if the change required would reduce the enjoyability
of the game.

> A better way of prevent 'excessive' cheating would be to NOT allow objects to
> be saved across game.  This would prevent the hoarding of money to buy the
> good artifacts, etc.  The only reason to save characters would be because you
> have good stats.
>
> It would also get rid of 'shared storage characters' that hold mondo stuff
> that a lot of players (who play at different times) share.

IMHO this would suck as it reduces the game to searching for potions as they
are the only things which permanently increase your stats. Sure it will be
nice to find other stuff, but people will just sell it all just before they
save and buy potions. (or buy some scrolls, wander into the zoo and zap up
a few thousand experience points at no risk).

-Rupert
--
Rupert G. Goldie, rgg@aaii.oz.au