A few thoughts

>> There could also be a key that means attack a square, but don't move
>> in (useful for holding a key position).

>This would be useful (especially for opening doors :). On which keys
>do suggest to put it?

I'd suggest adding a "stand" toggle with the 's' key,  which indicates
that you won't move until you hit the 's' key again.

>hhmmm, well firechests are my creation, are you sure they do not explode when
>they hit a player?

They sure seem to hit me... I always stand a (chessboard) knight's move away
and wait for it to shoot the fireball,  go in and hack for a bit,  and
then run away again.

>My main "gripe" with crossfire is that it's trying to be parts of several
>games at once and maybe it's grabbed the wrong parts.

It might be nice to set up a crossfire library that could be used to create
games more like gauntlet or Xelda or nethack, depending on the programmer's
desire.  Of course,  if wishes were code,  we'd have intelligent AIs doing
everything for us...

>Another may be to allow a pause
>during a regular multi-player game, which would put your character in a
>statsis field

Heck,  why not a stasis field spell?  Makes you immune to everything until
you try to move again... simple,  not particularly abusable.

   -Andrew Bell
bell@cs.unc.edu