(ASCEND) Opinions for an Ascend-newbie

We are a 3COM Total Control shop, but are adding some MAX boxes to our
current POPs so that we can offer our customers a variety of connection
options. Have really had no trouble with the 3COM gear specifically -- just
looking to offer our customers a 3COM/X2 alternative.

I was originally looking at the 6048, but I have also been told to look at
the new 3000 series. Any pluses or minuses I should be aware of on either
platform? Which is the recommended one to use? Distributor says 3000 series
had some problems with early releases, but they have ben smoothed out. But
I'm still leaning towards the 6000.

Any tips would be appreciated.

--
Scot