RE: (ASCEND) MRTG and Ascend

Not confused at all.  The finger2 script is just a way of causing a character dump from the maxen and getting the numbers needed to feed to mrtg for port monitoring.  The sample mrtg.cfg file shows how to call this external script instead of relying on snmp walking mibs.  I prefer the output because it lets you see the ratio of digital to analog calls instead of just ports in use.

This method just causes a character dump from the maxen of users logged in and does some calculations so the numbers can be fed to mrtg. Try it.  You'll see mrtg completes much faster than using the snmp walking.  When we had some strange random problems with our maxen a long time back, an ascend engineer suggested that it may be caused by mrtg doing snmp walking on the units every 5 mins because the boxen were heavily loaded and cpu resources were scarce.  That's when I came up with these expect scripts.  According to the ascend engineer I was working with at the time, character dumps require much less cpu on the maxen than having it do a snmp walk, and everyone knows the 40xx is short on cpu resources.  For what its worth, we haven't had any more problems with our maxen since moving mrtg off of the regular snmp walks and using these kludges to get our port data.

Downside, its not as easy to implement as just plugging in the correct MIB's in typical mrtg.cfg setup.  You've got to work a little bit for the added benefits.