(ASCEND) security for telnet to TNT

I would like to set up some security on my Ascend TNT stack so
that telnet access is only permitted from some very specific
hosts/networks, and telnet attempts from other places would
be immediately rejected without letting the user try to
"guess" the password.

As far as I can tell, the only way to do this is by setting up
a filter on the ethernet interface.  My questions are:

1) Is there a better way?
2) If not, has anyone else already set this up, and if so could
   you post your working filter?
3) Assuming a filter on the ethernet port, are there any performance
   concerns?
4) Does anyone know if Ascend/Lucent has any plans to support something
   more secure than telnet?... such as ssh (secure shell) for example?

The TNT stack is currently running 2.1.3, and will eventually be
upgraded to 7.x.x to support the newer single slot 48port modem cards.

Thanks for your time!