(ASCEND) Multicast? and Solaris(Intel) everything dies??

    I was running 6.1.24 on an Max4004 when I put an Intel Solaris Server
with
a 3com nic card, kept getting the Intel box complaing that the Max was
trying to be
it's address.

    Upgraded to 7.0.4 and now the Intel box does not complain but the Max
stops sending any traffic!!!!

    The ip addresses are not the same and  I even tried a completely
different
network IP address for the Intel box still saw the error on 6.1.24.

Since the only thing I can think of that would be broadcasting is
Multicast??

Any Clues??