Re: (ASCEND) Router for ADSL

>From: "Stephen E. Belter" <seb@wintek.com>
>
>Ken Rea wrote:
>
> > We're going to be putting on ADLS here through GTE.  They bring in the
> > client's connection through a frame relay connection to the GTE cloud.
> >
> > What router have the other ISP's been using for this?
>
>  The traffic you will receive in your router for your ADSL clients
>is *bridged* ethernet packets of any and all protocols.  The Orckit modem
>is a learning bridge, so you won't see internal unicast traffic.  You
>will see all broadcast traffic, including IP, IPX, Apple's ethertalk,
>NetBEUI, and anything else that is on the client's network.  Your frame
>relay router (or FRAD) will need to be able to handle these ethernet
>packets, filter them, and then route them.

This does depend on the telco and the CPE. In the case of
Northpoint's SDSL, if the CPE is a router such as a Netopia R7100,
it's a routed connection. If the CPE is a bridge, the above comments
apply.

>  In our case, we have T1 connections (3) to GTE's frame switch, and we
>serve a mixture of frame-to-frame and frame-to-ADSL customers.  If you
>only expect to have a dozen or so ADSL customers, a Cisco 2501 will work
>fine.  If you plan to pack 40-60 customers on a T1, we've found that a
>Cisco 2620 works well.  Handling the bridging of traffic and filtering
>out NetBEUI and IPX is CPU intensive, and the 2501 will bog down when you
>get to larger numbers of customers.

FWIW, DSL PVC aggregation is what Ascend's DSL Terminator is designed to do.

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/