Re: (ASCEND) TNT 672 modems, DS3 Channelized (fwd)

At 08:59 PM 12/23/97 -0800, MegaZone wrote:
>Once upon a time Stephen Dolloff shaped the electrons to say...
>>Actually, a t3 card and 2 chassis will give you 672 modems
>
>Kevin - can you confirm/deny this?

Correct. We have this setup in the LAB.

>When I was looking at TNTs it looked like you could get the necessary
>slots with just two chassis.  But when I asked reps at a trade show I was
>told that because of power and heat you needed to have the modems spread
>over three chassis.  Who's right?

Both I would guess. When the TNT only supported the older analog
modem cards, I can believe that it was a recommended configuration to use
3 shelves. Also, maybe at some time it was necessary to use 2 channelized
T1 cards - as I don't recall when the DS3 card was introduced.

Currently, a 2-shelf unit with a single 100bT ethernet card, a DS3 card
and 14 digital modem cards will support the 672 modem connections.

[Each digital modem card uses up 2 slots, so that is using 30 of the
available 32 slots].

Kevin