(ASCEND) Can 1800 handle Unix Login: & Password: prompts ??

Our service department must dial into some field sites using ppp.  The
field site machines are Suns running dp-4.0 ppp software.

Our current setup is to call these sites from a Livingston
Portmaster. The pm supports a series of send/response strings that can
be used to login to the remote system before the ppp handshaking
starts.

How would we do something similiar with the 1800?

I do not think I can leave the dp software to answer the modem since
not all calls to the site use ppp.