(ASCEND) Re: ascend-users-digest V96 #983

> ------------------------------
>
> From: matt@netmeg.net (Matt Magri)
> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 98 22:18 EST
> Subject: Re: (ASCEND) Interest poll for comp.dcom.sys.ascend
> >
> >I see this kind of junk from time-to-time on various newsgroups. Even "XXX
> >Adult Sites" being cross-posted to all of the "hi-tech" comp.dcom groups. I
> >think it's nowhere near as prevalent as the SPAM/junk-email that I get
> >personally, but it is still there.
>
> I don't see much here, but then we run Cleanfeed on our server (for the
> curious: <http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/antispam.html>). There's
> also lots of cancel activity attacking spam on Usenet (for one thing,
> it's a bit more satisfying since, unlike mail, you can get it after it's
> been sent) and that helps tremendously from a reader perspective (from
> a newsadmin perspective, tho, it means an ungodly number of cancel
> messages flying around).

*----
If you're suggesting that we rely on vandals who forge control messages and
take over other peoples' news servers, forget it.  I prefer to think for myself.
If someone went around my neighborhood grabbing everything out of the mailboxes
that they deemed to be junk mail, they'd probably get their hand cut off.

Moderation isn't an answer either.  Even in this list we've seen spam, ads,
and binaries passed on.