Re: (ASCEND) CRC Errors

I've been connecting my P75 to a P50 with pretty much every software
version available in the last two years. Always the same version on both
ends. There was a time a year or so ago that I saw thousands of CRC errors
reported, but the number never increased while I was looking.

One day I rebooted the P75 for some reason and watched as the CRC count
increased by 472 (or some number close to that) at the beginning of each
call so it was 472 the first time a call connected, 944 after the second
call, 1416 after the third call, etc. Occasionally the increase would be
471 or 473.

I commented on this either to this list or maybe to support@ascend.com. I
never heard anything from anyone, but I stopped paying attention and in
some later software version the CRC errors went away. Right now I've been
running 6.0b2 for a little over 4 days and have had 83 CRC errors in over
42 million packets. Nothing about the hardware or line configuration has
changed in ages.

At 01:43 PM 1/19/98 -0600, HOFF,DANIEL L wrote:

>>I have noticed that the CRC: field in the 20-300 'WAN Stat' box
increments by 1
>>or 2 each time the P75 connects to the ISP. This happens between the Call
>>Connected message and the LAN Session Up message. It seems that there is a
>>problem during that stage in the connection. I believed that it might be a
>>bit-failure in the ISDN connection and therefore had the Telco check it out.
>>Their testing equipment states that there is not a single bit failure on the
>>ISDN line!
>>
>>Im sick and tired of this and have started to dream at night of other router
>>brands (last time was a ACC Congo Voice Router...help...).
>
>You are certainly not the only one seeing this.  We have three dozen or so
Pipeline 50's on 4.6Cp9 through  5.1Ap8, reporting a few dozen to a few
thousand CRC errors
>on the WAN interface with every new connection.  Bellsouth has checked
these lines, and we've run the tests ourselves and have seen not a single
bit-error on any of these lines.  Is there something we should know about
what Ascend uses to figure CRC errors?  Could there be another problem at
layer 2 or 3?