(ASCEND) Suggestion for remote maint

>> I always live in fear when updating a remote Max or a remote Pipeline:
>> Will they appear after a reboot ??
>>
>> It would be a good thing to attach a modem to the console port, that I
>> could dial up the Max/Pipe, if it does not come up again.
>> Up to now I had no suscess in realising this. Is this because of the
>> wrong cables or is it just not
>> possible?
>
>One possible answer to this is to use a un*x workstation and hook the Max
>to one of it's comports.  Use the other comport for a modem connection and
>just tip to the Max when connected to your unix pc. ;)
>- --
>Joseph Hickman

A further suggestion which may be of use is to use the comports on a unix box to attach to the MAX console, in conjunction with a telephone-controlled power outlet for those really 'special' crashes.  I think Black Box or one of those specialty telephone catalogs carries them - you dial up, give a password, and it allows you to power on/off whatever's plugged in by remote.  They aren't that expensive either, from what I recall.

Hope this helps,

Daniel Hoff
Datacomm Administrator
Woman's Hospital