(ASCEND) MAX Fails to negotiate PPP

Today some of my users started having trouble logging
in on my 4048. They would get connected and then dropped
in about 2 seconds showing  up as Lan Security Error in
the 00-200 window.  While working on my neighbors PC I
tried calling in and at first it would connect but not access
anything.  I clicked on the details of the DUN window and
it gave no protocol established.  I had a standard modem driver
installed so I replaced it with the correct one for the modem
(Zoom 56K on a 486sx). It would then connect, verify username
and password then disconnect after about 2 seconds.

It does not seem to be a radius error as it verifies the user and
then drops them as if there is already someone logged on
with that user name.  I reset the max and it seemed to help
but still happens just not a frequently.

Any ideas.  I know the usernames and passwords are good.
It will clear itself up after a while but it is frustrating.

BTW The only time I see Lan Security Error in the 00-200
window is when someone tries to log on the second time
or in this case.