Re: (ASCEND) SS7 bypass on MAX TNT - TNT as DAX?

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, MegaZone wrote:

> Maybe this is just a crazy rumor, but there is an interesting story in
> the grapevine.  That there might be an SS7-Bypass feature in testing that
> can turn a TNT into a DAX for a fraction of the cost of a telco CO DAX.
>
> Anyone else here this?  I'd love to find more info if there is any
> truth to this...

Sorry for the delay in response; I only read this group intermittently...

Having coded for the SS7 bypass project, I can attest that such a system
is under development. The TNT does, after all, have a time-division
multiplexor on its backplane that could be used to just such an end.

Ascend has been developing this system for some months in conjuction with
XCOM Technologies. An alpha of the entire system (which essentially
replicates a Class 5 switch when connected to XCOM's proprietary solution)
was displayed on the floor of Fall Internet World last month, at the
Ascend pavilion.

The details of the system are perhaps a little out of the scope of this
mailing list; if anyone wants more information, drop me an email.

> -MZ

----
Jon Peterson (jon@xcom.net) - Sr. Systems Engineer
XCOM Technologies / Research and Development
If I spoke for XCOM, I would have a much, much bigger office.