(ASCEND) WinNT authentication with Access Control?

Has anybody got Windows NT Access Control to do WinNT authentication?

I have been trying for a couple of months now.

Here is part of my Users file:
#% Steve LaDuke
steve Authentication-Type = WinNT
 Service-Type = Framed,
 Framed-Protocol = PPP,
 Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.255,
 Ascend-Assign-IP-Pool = 1,
 Ascend-Route-IP = Route-IP-Yes,
 Ascend-Idle-Limit = 300
When I start Access Control with debug (-x), I see that it is trying
to do Windows NT authentication.  I have tried variations on
the username, such as 'develop\steve'.  (Yes, sad but true, my NT domain
is 'develop'.)

It always rejects the login:

radius.debug.txt
winnt_logon: ID = 'develop\steve'
winnt_logon: LogonUser failed: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad
password.