Re: (ASCEND) P50 routing on LAN side

At 10:59 1998/01/08 -0800, Kevin Smith wrote:
>At 02:26 PM 1/7/98 -0500, Todd A. Scalzott wrote:
>>What's happening is that I can see the ARP request make it all the way
>>through from a shell account on a different provider to the P50 and then
>>on through to the firewall.  What the firewall manufacturer tells me is
>>that I need to have the P50 configured with a static route pointing to the
>>external interface of my firewall as a router for the class C.    But the
>>P50 already establishes a /24 route to the ie0 interface:

I'm sorry I missed the first part of this thread,
are you saying that the /24 block (207.176.66.0)
is really located on the other side of this firewall?
that sounds like the firewall needs to proxy arp for
anything that is on the inside... but I may have missed something.

another way to get similar results would be to
setup the interface on the firewall and the router as
a /30 netmask instead of /24, that would let you add the route
that you need for the addresses inside the firewall,
and then you just do not use addresses 0,1,2,3 on the inside net.

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D