Re: (ASCEND) Bonded T1's?

>From: Matt Holdrege <matt@ascend.com>
>
>At 10:52 AM 12/30/97 -0600, Scott Kozicki wrote:
>>Can you bond multiple T1 interfaces together on a Max 4K? That is to
>>say, can I MPP 2 T1's together to form one ~3MB pipe upstream?
>
>Well, you can bundle multiple channels across T1's, but you can't bundle
>two unchannelized T1's together.
>
>However, beware that vanilla TCP/IP doesn't work well at all when you
>exceed about 6 to 8 MP channels.

Like Ethernet? ;-) Can you define "vanilla" in more detail? Is there an
inherent problem in IP, or is it a question of tuning?

>At 09:24 AM 12/31/97 -0600, Joe  Shaw wrote:
>>That's more of a kludgey solution.  Any sensible person wanting to bond
>>T1s needs to purchase an inverse multiplexer.  Larscom has some nice units
>>that scale from 1 to 4 T1s and work well, but they aren't cheap.  They are
>>easy to setup and work quite well.  Of course, if you've got channelized
>>T1s, I'm sure it's possible, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea,
>>unless you really want to try it.
>>
>>Advertising one set of routes via one T1 and then another set of routes
>>is a bad idea.  If one goes down, so does half of your network.  I'd
>>rather use an inverse mux and a dedicated router doing BGP than say
>>rip/ospf over serial links into a max.
>
>If one T1 goes down, the routes will move over to the other T1 if you
>configure the router properly. BGP is not required, OSPF will work fine.
>
>But yes, an imux will work much better than Multilink PPP.

Again, would you mind being more specific than "much better than"? I
imagine it's usually preferable to use hardware when possible for various
reasons, but what are you thinking of specifically?

Sorry for leaping in so belatedly; I've had the flu, like everyone else
around here. :-(

Peter Lalor
Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com