Re: (ASCEND) Pipe75 and Ethernet data filters.

>I've been unable to get data filters working for Ethernet.  If I
>set any non-empty filter in Ethernet/Mod Config/Ether options, I
>find that I can't make any connections at all from the ethernet.
>If I set a filter who's input and output filters are all Valid=No,
>then it works fine.  If I set a filter with a single in and a single
>out filter like:
>
>    Valid=Yes
>    Type=IP
>    Ip...Forward=Yes
>    Ip...Src Mask=0.0.0.0
>    Ip...Src Adrs=0.0.0.0
>    Ip...Dst Mask=0.0.0.0
>    Ip...Dst Adrs=0.0.0.0
>    Ip...Protocol=0
>
>it doesn't work (I cannot access the router from the ethernet).
>
>My goal, here, is to setup a filter which explicitely denies certain
>packets, allows certain others, and denies all that are not handled
>by a specific rule.  For instance, deny all ethernet-out packets
>with src on the LAN, and all ethernet-in packets with dst on the
>LAN, while allowing ethernet-in with src on the LAN and ethernet-out
>with dst on the LAN.  Relatively simple stuff, but if I can't even
>say "allow everything to pass" successfully...

I don't know all the details, but you need to allow ARP on an Ethernet.

Also, when you're writing a "deny a few specific things but allow the rest"
filter, you need to have a final Generic "allow all" filter to let the rest
through.

Check out http://www.ascend.com/696.html, which deals with writing filters
generally, and ARP specifically.

Peter Lalor