(ASCEND) MAX misreporting connection speed?????

We have a MAX 4000 runing 5.0 AP27 software - more exactly ek.m40. As
you might know this software is supposed to support 56K connections over
the 56K digital modems.

Now, the following problem has caused me great grief.

Users are connecting with 56K modems, their Windows 95 clients would say
to them - yeah, you are connected at 56000 or 40000, or any other values
above the 33600 mark (depending on the user line quality and all the
other factors involved). Meanwhile, the MAX tells me that these users -
now on line - are connected at 28800. This has been tested preety well
and is always the case.

No need to tell you, we want to bill users with the 56K connection a bit
extra - just enough to recoup our new 56k modem expenses and there is no
way we can do that. (Radius, of course, gives us the same values - never
over 28800.)

We just don't know who is connected at more than 33600. Worse, we do not
even know if they really are connected at higher speeds or is just
Windows 95 telling them that (we don't want to be unfair)?????.

Needles to say I am under a lot of pressure here.

I would appreciate any help.

Best regards!

George