Re: (ASCEND) STAC Compression?

On Wed, Feb 18, 1998 at 11:53:22AM -0500, Phillip Vandry wrote:
> > Yes, the MAXen do support it, but it's been our experience that when STAC
> > or VJ is turned on that it puts excessive load on the MAXen.  To enable
> > the option, you can find it in Ethernet->Answer->PPP options->Link Comp;
>
> I am surprised that you found this with VJ. I didn't know that anyone
> ever turned VJ *off*, in fact!

We turn off VJ and Stac on leased E1 lines when they are not heavily
loaded. It is not worth the CPU time to do the compression if the line
is not loaded and has stabilized and reduced RTTs on such connections
remarkably. Of course Stac and VJ are always on up to 128kbps, where they
really make sense ;)

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |