Re: (ASCEND) OSPF: network routes not announced

On Wed, Feb 18, 1998 at 09:57:04AM -0800, Kevin A. Smith wrote:
> At 12:26 PM 2/18/98 +0100, Jens Glaser wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Kevin A. Smith wrote:
> >> If you set the LAN Adrs to whatever is on the remote end of the link (.1
> >> ?), then does this change the OSPF output for that network?
> >
> >Well, I did change this to .1/24 - but still the route wasn´t announced.
>
> But you still had not rebooted at that time ;-)
>
> >Just out of curiousity I rebooted the MAX and it suddenly worked ..
> >very reliable .. :-/
>
> That is strange, as typically only changes to the OSPF config itself
> have required restarting OSPF.....

While it is unintentional, it is not strange (to me). I've posted this
already: From my experience, every nontrivial change to a Max's routing
setup, and eventually even trivial changes, are best accompanied by a
reboot. Else the routing may need a long time to relax or even not relax
at all. I'm usually going to termserv after doing route changes and use
show ip route to see how the zomies are doing. If the route in question
doesn't even get a zombie, I reboot. If it gets one, I wait a minute or
two whether the routing relaxes. If it doesn't I reboot. At least I would
say this became better over time, I remember versions down the 4.5 sink
where we rebooted after every route change unconditionally because it
was clear to behave wrong. That's over, but a reboot is still the best cure
for a Max having routing anomalies. I'm BTW speaking sans OSPF, RIPv2 shop
only. Eventually 6.0 gets better, it has some long-outstanding fixes to
the routing (backup routing etc).

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |