Re: (ASCEND) NAT Routing

At 19:33 1998/02/05 +0900, Peter Chow wrote:
>What about SNMP?  We want to use single-IP NAT routing for leased line
>customers connected to dedicated ports on a Max 1800.  If we can't ping
>the P50, I imagine we wouldn't be able to monitor it either.  Tough to
>monitor if my customer's connection goes down!

yes it is, we do it by opening a raw TCP socket
to a known good port number on one of their inside servers,
but we can't tell the difference in the link down vs. server down.

>Anyone doing single-IP NAT with Leased lines?  How well does it work?

we're still using an older software on the pipeline,
but the only problems we've seen are that after a day or two
the pipe runs out of NAT buffers or something,
and our automated script that monitors the connection
spawns "expect" to connect out and reboot their router.

I've been told this is fixed in versions after 5.1Ap6.

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D