Re: (ASCEND) Ascend going mad ? (was: Stable code for Max 1800)

On Tue, Apr 21, 1998 at 06:11:48PM -0400, Tim Basher wrote:
> Just some recommendations...
>
> *Do not make countless bug reports on a single problem - make sure you are
>  always just updating a single bug report.  In other words, ask for the
>  trouble ticket number and always refer to it in all future communications
>  for either voice or e-mail and *do not let customer service close the
>  ticket*.  If the ticket is ever closed then you lose all the context
>  and long history that helps to point out how patient you have been.

If I only knew that one and a half year ago, when we first had this
problem. And you must be sure that it really is the same problem that
bugs you half a year later.

The general problem with this bug is that it is transient, happens one
day and not the other, comes and goes etc. pp. You really don't know
whether installing the next firmware release actually fixed it, or
whether it's just because its raining today that it vanishes. Under
such circumstances it is not easy to decide to leave this TR open and
come back to it later.

> *Always get the name of the customer service rep you are dealing with and
>  ask for them *by name*.  Do not let yourself be handed off to whoever is
>
> *If after walking through the basic configs and troubleshooting with the
>  front line rep, *ask for escalation* - you can only do this if you are
>  calling in, but I know there are more than one level of expert in customer
>  service.  Don't get angry or threaten but do be persistent.
>
> *Do not let this reply stand.  Do not reply via e-mail.  You need to call
>  in directly and talk to an escalation representative or the customer support
>  manager.  This may take more time on this call but it sounds like it will
>  save you time overall.

Not beeing able to discuss that with EMail is a drawback IMHO. I'm not a
native english speaker, I can express my problems much better in written
form compared to talking english on the phone. It would be really great
if support via EMail would work as nice as phoning works now. I know that
EMail has certain drawbacks (I'm in turn giving support for customers so
I know mailboxes grow beyond bounds, mail gets lost the same way papers get
lost in stacks etc), but it generally works. And it has in most cases worked
well for me in the last months (mail with Ascend support that is), it is just
this single case where we were not moving any further. But this has changed
now.

> *Sending e-mail to "ascend-users" is good for letting off steam, for sharing
>  information, and for asking questions where you get a different perspective
>  than you get out of Ascend, but it is not Ascend Customer Service.  I remain
>  amazed at how helpful Kevin and Matt can be, but they are probably not the
>  people you need to be talking to.  If you really have a bug (as it sounds
>  like you do) - you need to get Customer Service involved.

Thats clear. I'm thankful for the good job Kevin, Matt and certain others
(not to forget you) are doing here on the list with sharing their knowledge.
It even happens that Kevin or Matt open a TR when an obvious bad problem
is posted here on the list. Furthermore, the list is (or was ?) a channel
to discuss beta versions and the reports done here generally were heard.
There are just some cases where a list (or other public forum) can help you
to make yourself heard. This is, of course, nasty - and I apologize for
beeing nasty. I have tried on this list some times with less provocative
whining ("The Nailing Game") - without much success.

> I don't know, maybe this is what you meant, but just in case, I thought
> I would make the recommendations.  I also don't know if this is true or
> not for Ascend, but it certainly has been true with other vendors.

The recommendations are good. One should actually print them out, frame
them and put them next the phone - for any bug report to any vendor.

BTW, several of the TRs I had open with 6.0.0 are fixed in 6.0.4. Just
as an example that the escalation process normally works well. And when
I look out the window, the sun shines again, too. Back to work ;)

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck  (ABPSoft)   AB10-RIPE   XLink PoP Dresden | o |