Re: (ASCEND) Ascend P-130

On Thu, Apr 16, 1998 at 10:58:02PM +0000, Todd Reynolds wrote:

> Has anyone set up the Squid proxy server to do a transparent proxy
> from a Pipeline 130?

No.

> If you have, how?
>
> I have seen many pointers about doing it on a Cisco but none on an
> Ascend product.

This has been discussed here a while ago. Ascend boxes (at least up
to the Max4k, dunno about larger stuff) do not supply policy based
routing. What is often cited as the "Cisco support for Squid" is nothing
but to force the Cisco to forward any IP packet which is TCP dest port
80 to the machine where Squid runs. The more complicated part is to
get this machine to actually recognize those packets and hand them over
to Squid. Compared to the enormous effort you put into such setup, the
result is rather poor. The only advantage is that everything goes always
via your proxy even if the customer tries to direct it to the real WWW
server. Whether this is an advantage to the customer is questionable.

If I really needed to force people to use my proxy, I would filter out
TCP dest port 80 from anything going out the P130 completely (with the
obvious exception of packets with source IP of the cache). People will
need to explicitely set up their browser with your proxy and can surf.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |