(ASCEND) ATM via GRF with Kentrox ADSU?

Hello.

We've just been told by our provider that we're going to have to drop
our purchase of an Ascend GRF 400 in favor of a Cisco 7204 because the
Ascend will not handle ATM coming over a DS-3.

Their claim is that even with the appropriate ADSU (Kentrox DataSMART T3
ADSU) handling the ATM over DS-3, the ADSU and the GRF cannot speak a
compatible protocol over the HSSI port into the GRF's HSSI card.

Ascend is telling us that this is not the case, and frankly, we're
pretty skeptical of our provider's claim, since they've known for a
couple of months that we're planning on using the GRF and are only *now*
telling us about this "problem."

Does anyone out there run such a configuration, and if so, how hard was
it to get running?  They also claim that the Kentrox ADSU's can't handle
a full DS-3 bandwidth -- they start crapping out after 12Mb/s.  They're
insisting that the only way to go is a Cisco with an ATM DS-3 card.

Are they wrong, or are they right?  Given we're ordering our equipment
within the next day or two, we need to know now.

If you are running such a configuration, can you please send me private
email with a description of your configuration *and* a contact number so
that we can get in touch with you if any further questions come up.

Thanks in advance.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin@premier1.net>
Chief Systems Administrator