(ASCEND) dialups lock on max

I'm setting up a Max 4048, running version 6.0.2 of the software.  I just
want to do plain old PPP with it.

If I dial in with some modems (a supra 56K, for example), it works
perfectly.  But with lots of other modems (practical peripherals 28.8, for
example) the dialup connection locks up after a few minutes.  It works
fine for awhile, but it always locks within a few minutes.

When the connection is locked, nothing works.  Neither the Max nor the
remote machine can ping each other.  And the locking occurs with terminal
server sessions as well, not just with PPP.

Has anyone seen this before?