Re: (ASCEND) NAT: 2nd PC sometimes unable to surf

On Tue, 07 Apr 1998 12:56:26 -0700, "Kevin A. Smith" <kevin@ascend.com>
wrote:

>At 08:17 PM 4/4/98 GMT, Bill Garfield wrote:
>>I'm using a P-75 with NAT and 2 PC's attached (via netgear hub).
>>Frequently my son (PC in the next room) will get home from school
>>and tells me after he turns on his PC that he cannot surf the net.
>>This is occuring maybe a couple times a week.

>>I can ping him <192.168.100.102>
>>He can ping me <192.168.100.101>
>>We can both ping the P75 <192.168.100.100>

>>Yet I can surf the net and he cannot.

>>We can reboot his PC but he's still "locked out" Both Explorer (401)
>>and his e-mail client just sit there trying, but nothing happens. I do see
>>his requests flashing the leds on the hub, but nada.

>>If I telnet to the P75 and force a reset then he can surf.
>>The P75 is a fairly recent model, s/n 7267002 running 5.1Ap8

	"TICKET 202115" opened

>Do you tend to keep the session open for a very long time when this
>happens? We seem to have fixed the original problem (that I had reported
>too), but maybe have another issue now with long duration, or high number
>of sessions over time. We're trying to describe the configuration and
>scenario that we can reproduce this, as many do not have any problems -
>like me ;(

>I'm now connected after 25 1/2 + hours and I can still surf from 3
>different workstations and send email (apparently ;).
>
>Admittedly I don't have 8-10 units all blasting away at the same time, so
>we need to effectively describe the setup under which the problem starts
>to happen.

Kevin, the dupe scenario is exactly as described.

My P75 (7267002) running 5.1Ap8 is configured to use NAT.
The P75 runs 24 hours 7 days, tho the attached computers (2)
see only intermittent duty, both shut off overnight & both shut off
most weekdays.  Typical internet usage here, evenings and weekends
and that's when the PCs are turned on.  The P75 runs 24/7 because
I use one of the POTS ports as a 2nd line.

And tonight it happened that after dinner I could not surf (and my son's
machine was still shut off)  I also could not get my mail.  I opened a
SmarTerm session & Telnetted to the P75 and forced a reset.  Surfing fine
now.  Me experiencing the problem is rare, usually it's my son who has the
problem.

The longest we've ever kept a session open is on a Saturday or sunday and
then perhaps 12-14 hours.

I was tempted to flash up to 6.0.x but in reading the app notes I don't
see anything in the major revision 6.0.0 that I need or that addresses any
problem I'm having.

Per the FAQ I did set   Lan=Single IP Addr    under Ethernet/Nat but I
cannot see where that's improved things.