Re: (ASCEND) NAT, Pipe75, stops routing.

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Robert Fournerat wrote:

> kevin wrote:
> >
> > A client of ours has a Pipeline 75 running single IP NAT with about 30 PC's
> > behind it.  Only about 5-10 of those clients are using the connection at
> > any given time.
> >
> > Afer some period of time, from a few hours to a few days,  It stops routing
> > over the WAN link.  Pings from any client machine get as far as the router
> > and time out.  Only fix is to disconnect and redial, or reset the router.
> > Doesn't matter what sofware version:  he used 5.1A and just upgraded to
> > 6.0.0.
> >
> > Sometimes, just redialing in doesnt help,(still not routing) sometimes it
> > just connects w/ one channel. The router is configured for MP, base channel
> > count to 2.
> >
> > ---
>
> The problem is Ascend's implementation of many-to-one NAT.
> If the circuit is established long enough, the translation
> table will fill to capacity, as they did not have a plan for
> removing translation table entries without the circuit
> dropping.  When the table is full, the router will no longer
> route.  It was explained to me (by Ascend) that the translation
> table is cleared every time the circuit is dropped.  Your
> experience seems to refute that claim.
>
> Other problems you will encounter with Ascend's many-to-one
> NAT include not being able to connect (from the WAN side into
> the NAT environment) to several ports (like the POP3 port 110).
>
> Ascend has known about this since at least 11/97.  I don't
> think they want to fix the problem because they keep loosing
> the TR's (yes, that is plural) that they have opened for me
> about this issue (which is something that wasn't supposed to
> be able to be done - but whatever).  I even built the scenerio
> on my test LAN, with my own equipment, giving Ascend techs
> accounts, and let Ascend recreate the problem.  I did this 3
> times for them.  All three times they confirmed that they had
> a serious problem.  Ascend knows of this problem.
>
> Anyway, that's just a drop in the bucket for Ascend
> screwups...

Uhhhh... Does this suggest that if I used a PL50LS56 or a PL130 with V.35
in a nailed connection mode to a max4000, this is why they just stop
working after 24 hours or so?  Please tell me NAT isn't this useless...
I've been installing them this way for the last few weeks and I'm starting
to get report after report of "I had to reboot my router".  I just opened
a trouble ticket on this Friday.  I'm going to be sick.

Someone from Ascend care to step in here and save the day?

Steve