(ASCEND) Modem hooked to console port, impossible ?

    I've done this before on other pieces of equipment, but never one that
continuously send data...  Here's what I have:
Max 4048 <- Null modems -><- RS-232 cable (incl. w/Max 4048) ->USR 33.6 V/F
Typical external modem using null-modem (USR 33.6 Voice/Fax to be exact)
Using: AT&FS0=1Q1E0&W0&W1  <- so the modem doesn't send anything back
On a typical modem, if the modem is off-hook but not connected and you send a
character to the serial port, it will immediately cancel the answer session and
to continuously send screen updates, so it never really stops sending data and
therefore the modem can never successfully answer and complete the connection...

Any ideas on how to stop the flow ? Or at least make the console port pay
attention to the DTR states ? Do I need to make the modem DCD <-> Max DTR ? Will
this help ???

Thanks -  Tim

-- Tim Connolly tec@mountain.net     MountainNet, Inc.
-- (304) 594-9075 ext. 37            2816 Cranberry Square
-- fax (304) 594-9088                Morgantown, WV 26505

PHONESIA (fo nee' zhuh) n. The affliction of dialing a phone number and
forgetting whom you were calling just as they answer.