Re: (ASCEND) power consumption?

> Can anyone tell me the average wattage a max 40xx will pull?
> I notice some say 2.5A, others 4.0A which would be like 288W and 460W
> respectively (W=Amps*Volts), but that seems aweful high.

It seems awful high to me as well. I once measured a 4048 at 0.9A @ 120V.

But don't take that as a current rating, as devices will typically require
more juice at startup (but mostly because I'm not qualified to give you
one).

It will depend on how many modems you have too. V.34 modems suck a lot
more. Maybe 2.5A is for something loaded with V.34 modems, and 4.0A is
for one of those big dual power supply 4000's?

Regarding wattage calculations: I don't think you can calculate
W = Amps * Volts. That formula is based on Ohm's law (V=IR) and the
definition of power (W=(I^2)R), but Ohm's law is inexact when you
deal with complex electronics. Ever notice that they measure UPS
capacity in VA's (or kVA's), which is not the same as Watts?

An electrician once told me that for a typical computer type piece of
equipment, there is a ratio of 1.4 between Watts and VA.

Again, I'm not an electrician, so some of this may be wrong. But a
4048 will definately take less current than 2.5A.

-Phil