Re: [(ASCEND) MAX1800 vs. USR Netserver 16I]

Curt,

Your best bet is to go with PRIs on a MAX 2000 or 4000.
The latest code of MAX 1800 has shown improvements
in the ability to connect with V.90 modems (50+k speeds) and
ofcourse ISDN. Multilink PPP is also supported
in the 1800 series provided the calling device
is compliant with MP RFC.

Netlink Hardware admin <hw@netlinkcom.com> wrote:

Hi folks,

I currently use Netserver 8/16 I to handle Analog/X2/V.90/ISDN.

The Netservers are supposed to be able to do Multilink PPP, but I have not
been able to get it working successfully.

Analog, X2, and ISDN work o.k. (nowhere near as stable as my PM2 with USR
Couriers...but acceptable)

Many of the V.90 modems can't connect, stay connected, or simply put get
crappy throughput. (not to mention 3Com support...or lack thereof)

I am interested in hearing a bit more about the Max1800 and how they work
for V.90, ISDN, Multilink PPP, etc.

Does Livingston RADIUS 2.01 work o.k. with them?
(Yes I own Portmasters as well)

I have looked in the list archives and see issues with code and modems
that don't connect to the 1800s, etc.

To what degree are people using the 1800s having problems with this type
of thing?

I currently use BRI for digital incoming as PRI cost twice as much per B
channel.

If PRI cost wasn't so high, or if I cannot find a stable BRI solution, I
would probably get a PM3, Assured Access X600, or maybe even a MAX 4xxx.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Curt