Re: (ASCEND) Max 6000 - LAN security errors during heavy load

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, J. Wells wrote:

> At 02:10 PM 4/12/99 -0500, J-Mag Guthrie wrote:
> >On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, J. Wells wrote:
> >> We have a related problem with a MAX 2024, running 7.0.3 (but the problem
> >> has likely been there with various 6.x.x releases too)
> >>
> >> Some users, some times, get immediately disconnected after authenticating.
> >> Syslog shows these calls connecting, and following modem negotiation the
> >> RADIUS server log shows that authentication was successful. However, the
> >> MAX then immediately disconnects the user. Syslog then gets warning saying
> >> "LAN security error" for the username. A few seconds later syslog and
> >> RADIUS accounting record the end of the call, with the username and a
> >> disconnect code of 101 (invalid user) and progress code of 67. (The RADIUS
> >> accounting log has only a STOP record and doesn't show the username.)
> >
> >In every case where I've encountered this, resetting the client's computer
> >and/or modem fixed it.  This particular error is in the group of raw TCP
> >and telnet errors, so I would suspect that it's either a corrupted TCP
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. While it's certainly possible, then the problem
> becomes one of a very misleading response from the MAX. Why call such a
> problem a "LAN security error" and disconnect with "invalid user"?

Because the MAX, for whatever reason, thinks they're trying to establish a
telnet session rather than a PPP connection.  That's why I think the
client is sending bogus information.

- J-Mag Guthrie

| The only function of | Brokersys                 | Talk sense   |
| economic forcasting  | 12703 Vets Memorial, #106 | to a fool    |
| is to make astrology | Houston, TX 77014         | and he calls |
| look respectable.    | +1-281-895-8101 (voice)   | you foolish. |
|                      | +1-281-895-8109 (fax)     |              |
|  - John K. Galbraith | http://www.brokersys.com/ | - Euripides  |