Re: (ASCEND) Am I the only one ??

<snip from Matt Holdrege>
> The optional symbol rate for 33.6 is 3429 and is apparently not implemented
> by any modem DSP vendor. Like I said earlier, this seems to be the result
> of the standards process, interoperability and the complexity of the whole
> mess that the industry calls high-speed modems.

I did a few test calls (Intertex V90 modem, with Rockwell datapump):
(Quick unscientific test.)

Ascend server (Rockwell datapump):
Always 28800 upstream. No more, no less.

3COM server (3COM datapump):
Connects 31200 upstream, but sometimes falls back to 28800.

I still consider the issue academic though, since the important issue is
*actual transfer rate*, not "highest speed on the meter".  A step higher
in speed will be lost over and over again, if it causes even a marginal
increase in bit error rate (Correcting even a *single bit* error involves
retransmision of several *bytes*).

The bps figure doesn't tell *all* about the actual transfer rate...