Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, William T Wilson wrote:

> Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 17:38:06 -0500 (EST)
> From: William T Wilson <fluffy@dunadan.com>
> To: Joe  Shaw <jshaw@insync.net>
> Cc: ascend-users@bungi.com
> Subject: Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...
>
> On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Joe  Shaw wrote:
>
> > running solaris and that just wasn't in our budget for the year.  The
> > company I was with was a completely FreeBSD shop, and Solaris wasn't
> > anything we wanted or needed in our lives.
>
> There are versions of Radius available for FreeBSD, of course.
> Livingston's RADIUS works fine on it, and I believe that the Ascend
> version of it does so as well.  Just not the particular version you
> wanted, I guess (but why did you want that particular version, if it
> didn't run on your hardware?)

	The same thing goes with RedHat Linux 5.0 on a DEC Alpha board.
Their free Ascend radius version works fine on the Intel boards but fails
on the Alpha. The Livingston does no better, just a differently worded
error for the same thing. Then you come to their pricy Access Control
software and they don't even have a version for any Alpha board accept for
Digital UNIX OSF. I don't know about you but 2-3K for a 5 user license is
not the OS I'm gonna recommend. But that's exactly what TAC was telling
me, Buy a new machine or get another OS.

	Sincerely,
	Jeremy T. Bouse
	System Administrator
	SouthNet TeleComm Services, Inc.