Re: (ASCEND) Odd Framing on a Pipeline 130

At 05:42 PM 3/20/98 -0500, wmoniz@aracnet.net wrote:

>Hi.  We have two Pipeline 130s connected across a 128K fractional T1.  The
>problem is we are getting mysterious packet loss on the connection.  We
>have replaced both units thereby eliminating the possibility of a bad CSU.
>The Telco has done extensive testing on the line and still swears that all
>test run clean.
>
>They suggested that the trouble could be something that the Pipeline is
>doing under normal operation.  The tech said that it may be
>trying to steal extra bandwidth by shoving additional data into the
>reserved upper frame segment.

No. That is not correct. The data is aligned to the assigned channels alone.
If the channels are set to 56K rather than 64K (i.e. 112K vs 128K), then no
data would pass.

>Since the T1 is deframed and stripped to 2
>channels at the switch this extra data would be lost.

Imaginative to say the least ;)

>His theory is
>supported by the fact that the problem get much worse under load.  The
>Pipeline could be trying to stuff even more extra stuff in.

No. It is restricted to the channels you assigned in the configuration.

>Does any one
>know of a similar case?  Is this really something the Pipeline 130 does
>normally?

I would look at two possibilities:

a) a clocking problem - where is clocking sources from?
b) an encoding mismatch. Maybe one leg of the link is B8ZS, while the other
   is set to AMI. (This is not too uncommon in new installations).

>I should also mention that we are in Canada and I'm not sure if there's
>some difference between the Canadian standard and the standard the Pipe
>was built for.  We are using ESF B8ZS.

No difference that I'm aware of.

Kevin