Re: (ASCEND) mixing MLPPP channels w/ 6.0 software. (fwd)

At 10:49 1998/03/20 -0800, MegaZone wrote:
>Note that it should work fine from a technological standpoint, but it
>is not a good idea.  MP splits packets over the two channels.  If one channel
>is substantially faster than the other - like 64K and 33.6K - it gets messy
>fast.  The slower channel starts to lag, and it gums up the entire works.

While I'd agree that MP bundling a full T1 with a 64k ISDN channel
might be messy, the differences in a 64k HDLC and 33.6k modem link
are probably too small to notice with only a few bundled anyway.

As long as the devices on each end are not trying to do some sort of
time division or bit-level multiplex,where half a byte goes one path
and half goes another (ie, not a Multilink PPP),
and instead do something more intelegent like queue an entire packet
for one physical link, and round-robin which link to send with
in a "next available" scheme, all should be fine even if different speeds.

I have not actually tried this with ISDN and modem links,
however I have tested with two K56flex modems (at 42-44k)
plus two V.34 modems (at 26.4-28.8k) in an MP bundle
doing all sorts of file downloads, streaming video, etc.,
and never had any problems... performance was about equal to 128k ISDN.
(using a BSD/OS 3.0 box as a router, and not with Win95/98/NT, BTW)

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D