Re: (ASCEND) more phone lines than modems...

At 16:00 1998/03/19 -0800, Glenn Howard wrote:
>We have a Max4000 with 60 modems and now 64 phone lines.  We have two
>different phone numbers for our modem pool.  Is it possible to set up
>the max so that if an analog customer dials up, and there is free lines,
>but no free modems that they get a busy signal?  How does the max handle
>it?  Will the phone seem to just not answer at our end?  Can I do
>something with the trunk groups?

My first thought was that you had something like a 4060 using E1 lines,
but your web pages seem to indicate you are in British Columbia, Canada.
(maybe two T1 plus some ISDN BRI?)

Locality asside, whatever the number of lines you have,
if they are ISDN the Max will know that they are "voice" calls
and send a signal to the telco switch to signal "busy" when
no more modems are available, if the lines are instead
simply channelised T1/E1 I do not believe that the max can
signal the switch to return busy...

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D