(ASCEND) Re: ascend-users-digest V96 #1073

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998 08:46:31 -0500 (EST), throwaway-id@technologist.com
wrote:

<snip>
> (Sorry for the bogus return address, but long-term readers of this list
> may recognize the style, and thereby know who the author is.  I am not
> stupid enough to taunt people who work with network security, and have
> the level of ethics demonstrated by the group at issue.  Post replies
> to the list, since by the time you read this, the account from which
> it was sent will be no more than a memory.)

Totally puzzled - has anybody else noticed that last paragraph?

While I understand that emotions get high with security issues I cannot
see any valid reason to post to this list anonymously.

What sort of community have I slipped into with my first posting?
Hackers, vandals, criminals without ethics? Should I better not voice my
opinions for fear some fellow list reader could use my real name and IP
to harm me because he disagrees with me?

My grandma used to say "The worst that you fear others would do is what
you would be ready to do to others". Or in Russian: At least 3 fingers
of the hand that points toward a culprit point back to me.

IMHO, either I speak up and stand for my words with my name, or I keep
quiet.

Best regards,

   Wolfgang

( and hey, am I daring tonite, I even include my "Dr." in my .sig.
Someone told me "it's part of your name now" when I got it :-)
I got it in physics...am I equal now with yours? Sigh.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
                         B  E  N  E  I  C  K  E
                               EDV-Beratung
        Netzwerk-Design - 3Com Solution Partner
           ISDN Remote Access - ASCEND Vertrieb
              DIGITAL Partner PC-Systeme und Server
                 ApplePoint
                    Windows NT-Netzwerke
                       Workstation Memories and Storage Solutions

Dr. Wolfgang Beneicke                                 fon +49-6223-48126
Fasanenstrasse 16, D-69251 Gaiberg                     fax +49-6223-5708
...near world famous Heidelberg, Germany