Re: (ASCEND) Ethernet RIP on Max 6.0.0

At 10:17 AM 3/18/98 +0000, Marc Williams wrote:
>If you are not using multicast for RIP then set  Forward Directed Bcast=Yes
>under Ethernet - Mod Config.

Bingo! Thanks.

Seems like a flawed interpretation of the Forward Directed Bcast option to
me. The RIP packets aren't being forwarded, they are being generated by the
Max. I find no mention of this side effect in the release notes. In fact
there's no mention of the option, which I thought was new, in the notes.

The recent discussion of directed broadcasts and the smurf attack suggested
that not forwarding was the preferred choice.