Re: (ASCEND) [rootshell] Security Bulletin #16 (fwd)

No.  The Rootshell advisory (at least the one forwarded here) was 2 bugs
in one. The first 2 pieces of code were exploits for the Java Configurator
bug (UDP port 9) and the last piece was an advisory against the default
community strings that are left active in the SNMP setup of Ascend
Maxen/Pipeline units.

You do NOT need to know the SNMP community strings to use the Ascend
Killer software against a piece of Ascend gear.  The SNMP "bug" (I
wouldn't call it that, as we always change the default SNMP read and write
community strings) warns against leaving the strings the default because
malicious users could download and/or change your running config on any of
your Ascend hardware.

Joe Shaw - jshaw@insync.net
NetAdmin - Insync Internet Services