Re: (ASCEND) Problems with T1<->PRI and Max4004

At 12:04 PM 3/12/98 -0500, Tom Easterday wrote:
>I am using PRI<->T1 conversion to peel off PRI channels for our
>phone system.  My T1 is ESF/B8ZS (as is my PRI).  I have not seen
>the delay you speak of.  I don't have modem banks hanging off
>my pbx but have tested modem to modem through the
>Max<->Channel Bank<->PBX setup that I have.  It worked fine
>without the delays you see (I was using some off-brand modem, not
>USR). At the time of the tests I was running 5.0ap16.
>
>I suspect the problem may have something to do with the ESF/B8ZS
>to D4/AMI conversion.  Your phone calls (to/from the pbx) don't experience
>delay though do they?

Especially if there is a mismatch in AMI/B8ZS settings between the MAX
and the PBX. That would cause modem retrains and data retransmitions (V42
error correction).

>As far as the channels hanging in a "c" state I did see that
>in the past when I was trying to get the parameters between the
>Max, channel bank and PBX.  I'm sorry but I don't remember
>the exact parameters involved.  Once I got it all set up correctly
>(and that was difficult given the number of variables) I have
>not had a problem with this.  I just installed 5.0ap44 so I will
>keep an eye out for the channels hanging, but none so far in the
>4 or 5 hours since upgrading.

What is your line config settings on the MAX/PBX interface? (It may
help to compare).

>Is there anyway to set up the T1 for ESF/B8ZS or doesn't your
>PBX card support it?

D4/AMI should not be an issue (it's very common), as long as both
ends of the span are configured the same (not one as AMI and the other
as B8ZS).

Another thing to check is what the clock source parameters are set to
on each port, and where timing should be coming from...does the PBX
allow loop-timing?

Kevin