(ASCEND) High Usage on the Ethernet port

Hello everyone

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any of these symptoms.

We have lots of Ascend 1800's here to interconnect our clients.

Up until 1 month ago, we had the ascend routers/access routers sitting on the
main ethernet of the respective LAN's. We noticed that when utilisation of the
ethernet went higher than about 20% the ascend routers would grind to a snails
pace and throughput would become extreamly slow (WAN traffic to the 'net).

We then put in some ethernet switches and LAN routers to help compensate for
the large number of packets. This seems to have rectified the problem, however,
its a costly one each time we install a POP.

Is there something we have done wrong? our experience as systems designers cant
pinpoint this one.

We are still using 5.0b13 (it think) as its very stable and we've never had
problems with it.

We are wanting to up the ante to 6.0.something to get the extra SNMP MIB
functions.

Any discussion would be great.

Regards

adam