(ASCEND) Modem Dial in to a MAX4000 drops when PPP starts

Up to now we've had Pipelines only dialing in over ISDN to a MAX4000,
now running 50Ap42.
Users are authenticated using Radius and SecurID. Analog modems dial in
to a Cisco terminal server, get authenticated[tacacs and securid] and
then start a ppp session.

After installing a 16 Modem K56FLEX card and adding a test user profile
to radius I can get
authenticated no problem, but I'm dumped when I run "ppp" from the MAX's
Terminal Server menu,
my win 95 client immediately dumps out with a "could not negotiate
protocols" message.
Is this how to do it? Am I close or is it a windoze thing?

Clues , pointers or sample configs anyone??

Here is a dump of ppp negotiations at the MAX.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

> PPPIF: open: routeid 25, incoming YES
PPPIF-18: ASYNC mode
PPPIF-18: vj comp on
PPPIF-18: _initAuthentication
PPPIF-18: no auth
PPPIF-18: Link Is up.
PPPIF-18: pppMpNegUntimeout last 0 layer 0
PPPIF-18: pppMpNegUntimeout last 0 layer 0
PPPIF-18: LCP Opened, local 'tester', remote 'tester'
PPPIF-18: _openAuthentication
PPPIF-18: pppMpNegUntimeout last 0 layer 1
PPPIF-18: Auth Opened
PPPIF-18: Remote hostName is 'tester'
PPPIF-18: opening CCP
PPPIF-18: pppMpSendNeg Pkt
PPPIF-18: pppMpNegTimeout layer 6
PPPIF-18: opening BNCP
PPPIF-18: pppMpSendNeg Pkt
PPPIF-18: pppMpNegTimeout layer 5
PPPIF-18: pppMpSendNeg Pkt
PPPIF-18: pppMpNegUntimeout last 0 layer 6
PPPIF-18: BNCP closed: Close OK
PPPIF-18: Administrative CLOSE of LAYER_AUTH : Close OK
PPPIF-18: LCP closed: Close OK