Re: (ASCEND) NAT on PL130 -- Solid or Bleeding Edge?

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Josh Bailey wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Steve Camas wrote:
> > <paragraph removed>
> > Anyone seeing *real* odd stuff going on with NAT?
>
> Recent sendmail versions make a connection back to an incoming host's
> address on the auth port - 113. This is an old UNIX-based service - "is a
> user on your system trying to connect me to my port 25?"
>
> It's of not much use nowadays - large ISPs have ident turned off, because
> of the extra delay it causes - if the incoming host isn't running an auth.
> service on port 113, sendmail will try uselessly to connect for a little
> while before giving up.
>
> Firewalls have this problem, too - it's not specific to NAT.

Ahhhh... bloody identd... Never thought about the ramifications of 'no
answer' rather than a 'connection refused'.

The solution I just implemented was to map port 113 to an unused port on
the ethernet address of the PL130 -- this worked perfectly.  The
connection is refused right away and sendmail gets on with it's life...

This, of course, still doesn't explain why I can't connect to any other
service other than telnet from the terminal server mode.... Any thoughts
on that? ;-)

Steve