Re: (ASCEND) Recommendation for ISDN adapter

>I am interested in an ISDN adapter that is compatible
>with a MAX 4000, especially one that supports bandwidth
>on demand.

I'm assuming you mean ISDN terminal adapter, as opposed to router. Routers
supporting NAT can be used as a TA, from the Maxes point of view.

Ascend's Pipeline 15 is currently the only TA that will dynamically add and
subtract a channel as needed (MP+). With all the rest, you choose either
one or two channels at the time you dial, and that's what you get for the
duration of the call. Obviously, that sucks for the ISP and the user, as
people use two channels to check mail, etc. With that type, you can usually
grab an in-use B channel to place or receive a voice call, and that channel
will rejoin the PPP link when the channel is freed up.

Last time I checked, several months ago, the Pipeline 15 didn't support MP+
on a Macintosh. Ascend said they were working on it. Ascend, is this
resolved?

Another good TA is Netopia's 412/612 (Mac/PC versions), although it doesn't
do MP+. Netopia's cheaper 411 can be problematic, as it doesn't support
firmware upgrades.

In our experience, 412/612s cannot connect to a TNT on a PC running Windows
95 or NT with 56k channels. 64k works fine. Go figure.

Peter Lalor
Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com
http://www.infoasis.com/