Re: (ASCEND) PANIC: Problems with 6.0.0

> OK, here's the setup:
> MAX running OSPF.  Nothing fancy, just one area with no authentication.
> Radius is running.  This happens on more than one machine.  Three of them
> have "monolithic" address pools, i.e. they all fit in a subnet, but they
> aren't broadcast that way(yet). One of them has two pools.
>
> The Max still claims to have a route to the interface.
>
> Here's the radius entry:
> DEFAULT Password = "UNIX", NAS-Port-Type = Async,
>         User-Service = Framed-User,
>         Framed-Protocol = PPP,
>         Framed-Address = 255.255.255.254,
>         Framed-Netmask = 255.255.255.255,
>         Framed-Routing = None,
>         Ascend-Idle-Limit = 1200

That certainly looks like a reasonable RADIUS entry that uses MAX Pool #1.

> Last time I talked to Ascend, someone suggested it was a problem with
> firmware on the remote modem, and that the incoming(to the max) data stream
> was locked up.  It's happened enough times that I don't think that's it.

This is certainly possible and a well known problem with certain modems -
you check the mailing list archive and see for yourself.  In that case,
depending on which half of the modem hardware locked up (transmit/receive aka
modulator/demodulator) I can imagine you might see "data in, no data out" or
"data out, no data in" on the MAX.   It is my understanding that when using
MNP or V.42, if the modem buffer fills, it will stop the data flow from the
far end.  I am not a modem guru, so I could be wrong.

Although I don't know the Ascend router code, I can see how this would cause
the MAX to stop trying to stuff bits down the pipe and thus wasdsess would
stop showing any outbound info.

Do you know what brand and model of modems were in use when the problem
happened?

It is also quite possibly a problem on the MAX.  Either (a) the output
driver got stuck or (b) the routing table was corrupted.

If you are sure the routing table looks okay, then check the use count
and see if the "use" count for the interface is incrementing.

> I'll look at the iproutedebug output for a while.

Sounds like a reasonable idea.

Good luck.